Thursday, February 6, 2014

I Just Can't Help Myself!

2/4/2014
I had my new favorite teaching moment ever today. In science, we were talking about forces, and how every force is a push or a pull. Then we played charades, and the kids had to say whether each thing acted out was a push or a pull. They were not being very well behaved, and things were getting a little loud and out of hand. (I know... charades is supposed to be a silent game, but I'm pretty sure my class doesn't know the meaning of the word silent.) Anyway... I thoroughly chewed them out for their behavior, and finally when things were starting to calm down, one kid lets out this giant fart.

Now, It has been ages since I have laughed over something like that. Normally bathroom humor is just not funny to me. However, call it extreme lack of sleep, or maybe just the stress of 3 observations in a day and a half, recess duty, a fire drill, and guest teachers making my schedule wonky.... Whatever the cause, I completely lost it. I was laughing SO HARD. The kids tried to hold in their chuckles until I lost it, then we were all just laughing together. (Thankfully the culprit was not embarrassed. He was laughing along.) It was incredibly hard to compose myself. The kids were telling me: "Miss Jardine, you're the teacher, you're not supposed to be laughing!" So finally, I pulled it together. But right as I did, my little smart aleck kid informs us that: "That was a push!" I lost it again. Then, my super quiet kid who never shouts out, goes... "There was a lot of force behind that!" Oh boy. I literally laughed to tears. The kids thought that I was crying.

All I can say is... 1) I must be an awesome teacher, since my kids are able to apply things to their real lives so well. ;) And, 2) I am so happy that my observations were already over with. I don't think I would have won any professionalism points there.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA. That is really a good story. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Hannah! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete